Founded in 1924, the South Caernarvonshire Yacht Club (SCYC) has a proud history of hosting many prestigious championship events within the surrounding waters of Cardigan Bay. Maintaining the highest standards both on and off the water in our unique clubhouse overlooking St Tudwal’s islands and towards Snowdonia, the Club offers unrivalled benefits, not least the beautiful picturesque view, to existing and new members so join now to come and enjoy all we have to offer.
The First Clubhouse
The first Clubhouse was not built until 1925 and the first races were controlled from the exposed headland as had all the Abersoch Village Regattas since 1881. The records for 1925 also show the first recorded protest when “two boats in the Junior Seabird Class were disqualified because the paid hands had handled the sheets”..
From these small beginnings the Club held 11 races in 1925 although the then Captain found that number too strenuous, expanded to two classes racing in 1928. In 1935 the Club took delivery of ten “one-design” dinghies designed and built by C Colquhoun of Dunoon. These open fourteen foot clinker boats, with red cotton sails, were reported in “Yachting World” magazine as one of the fastest dinghies of the day and, at an initial cost of £29, were of good value. The centreboards were manufactured from steel salvaged from the German Fleet scuttled at Scapa Flow back in 1918. They became the third class at SCYC.
The First Dragon
During the war the Clubhouse was not completely deserted as army patrols kept a lookout from the balcony. After the war sailing gradually resumed. The old boats were re-commissioned and in 1946 15 races and a Regatta were sailed. As more people discovered the delights of Abersoch and the Lleyn peninsula the tempo rapidly increased. Fast planing dinghies such as the Cadet, Firefly, and GP 14 were introduced and SCYC took its first delivery of a Dragon.
The first offshore race for the James D Eadie Cup was held in 1961 with seven entries, two from Ireland. The first National Championships hosted by the Club were in 1951 when the Firefly Association came to visit. Numerous National, European and World Championships for both dinghies and keelboats have been held since. From the fifties right up to the present day the Club has expanded at an ever increasing pace.
The Honorary Secretary was replaced by a full time Secretary to keep pace with the increasing membership. The Cove was acquired, demolished and rebuilt in 1975. The large exposed girders on the Upper Deck are designed to take the weight of a third storey should it ever be necessary.
In the early days the only way for crews to get out to their boats on the moorings was by dinghy. As the membership increased there was not enough storage space for the dinghies and the launch service was introduced. This was augmented by the building of the Jetty, which was replaced in 2000 by the current extended wooden jetty.
OFFICE 01758 712338 | INFO@SCYC.CO.UK | The Cove 01758 228269 | Position 52°49.43N 04°29.89W | Radio Channel 37/M1
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes.The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.